Home Page


The community, which has also been known as South Concho and Delong, is said
to be named after early settler Christopher Columbus Doty.  A post office was established in 1889 and a local school was operating by 1901. By 1914, Christoval
had an estimated population of 200, two general stores and a newspaper the Christoval Observer.

Through the 1930s, a Baptist encampment was held annually that attracted as many
as 10,000 persons to the South Concho River area and the mineral waters in nearby
Christoval also attracted visitors and settlers.  T
he Christoval Mineral Wells bathhouse (later called Percifull Chiropractic Sanitarium) offered sulphur water from about 1920 until the 1980s.

The population peaked at around 500 in the 1930s before declining to approximately 400 in the mid-1950s and 200 by the mid-1970s.  In 2000, a total of twenty-nine businesses were operating in Christoval. The current population for the town is between 400-500 with many more living in the surrounding housing developments.

Frontiersmen began to immigrate into the south Concho Valley in 1870s, locating along the "Toe Nail" trail from Fort McKavett to Fort Concho.
By the mid-1880s the settlement began to develop and a Union Church was organized, the South Concho Irrigation Co. was established in 1885,
and built a dam and 3 miles of canals to furnish water to dry farmland. Christopher C. Doty (1857-1944), who had arrived in Texas in 1879, opened
a store and applied for a post office in 1888, after rejection of application for "Alice", due to another office of that name, Doty suggested
"Christobal" (Spanish for Christopher). Confirmation of establishment of the office and Doty's appointment as postmaster arrived in Jan, 1889,
but the spelling of the name had been changed to Christoval. After a flood in Aug. 1906, a tract of bottomland was purchased for a city park,
which became a popular Baptist campground and site of Confederate reunions, both attended by thousands of regional residents. A bath house,
built in 1915 was the first of several local health facilities. Arrival of the Panhandle & Santa Fe Railroad, in 1930, made
Christoval a shipping point for area sheep, wool, and cattle industries.

 

Settlement of this area began in the 1860s and increased in the 1870s and 1880s following the establishment of Fort Concho in nearby San Angelo.
The town of Christoval began to develop by 1885. The South Concho Baptist congregation was organized in 1889 with four charter members. The
Rev. T. R. Leggett served as first pastor, and the congregation met in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, built by a group of citizens and used
as a Union Church. Located on a hill on the corner of present Church St and Rudd, the Union Church was the site of regular worship services, with
various clergy officiating. The name of the South Concho Baptist congregation was changed to Christoval Baptist Church in 1906. Four years later
the membership voted to build its own facility, and an octagonal wooden tabernacle was erected. In 1911, the first annual summer Christoval Baptist
encampment was held on the banks of the South Concho River. A new church building was dedicated in 1925 during the August camp meeting.
Due to the financial strains of the Depression, the campground was sold in 1932. This church remains an important part of the Christoval community.

 

Christoval Texas - PO Box 302 - Christoval TX  76935 - christoval@yahoo.com - 325.655.5577